|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | What's New
The McMahons of Clonina by James M. Molohan
1 There are significant differences in the spelling of the names of persons as they occur at different times and in different documents. The same is true of placenames. The spellings of names and placenames in this paper are generally as they occur in the particular document or record in question.
7 Murtagh McMahon the Younger may have been the Murrough, son of Teige Roe MacMahon, owner of Derrycrossane, who died on the 20th of June, 1624, leaving as successor his son, Murrogh according to an Inquisition taken at Ennis on 7th August 1630.
8 See 'Lucht Scríofa Lámhscríbhinní i gContae an Chláir' by Eilís Ní Dheá, Dal gCais 1999, pp51-57. Ní Dheá attributes this story to an article by Mrs Morgan John O'Connell entitled 'The Last of the Shanachies' in The Irish Monthly 1886, p27. See also Béaloideas, Vol 30, 1962 (pp89-104), Thomas Wall, 'Teige Mac Mahon and Peter O'Connell Seanchaí and Scholar in Co.Clare',
11 Frost, Op cit, P576/577. It seems that several generations of the McMahoms had wives named More (Máire). The Deed of 1621 tells us that More was the wife of the son of Murtagh, who was son of Thomas and grandson of Murtagh Cam. More, the wife of Murtagh the Petitioner of 1700 re the lease of 1668 was obviously a different More.
13 Many different spellings of the name of the presentday townland of Cloneenagh in Kilmacduane parish were used in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, Clonina being the most frequently used. In this paper the spellings used are generally as they appear in the relevant documents. The poet Micháel Coimín writing in 1741 gives Cluain Eidhneach as the original Irish version.
17 Originally Cragclonborny seems
to have comprised both of the presentday townlands of Crag which
immediately adjoin each other, the one (which also adjoins Knockalough)
in Kilmihil parish, and the other in Kilfiddane parish. Garranereagh is presentday
Greygrove in Kilmihil parish, immediately to the north of Knockalough.
21 In 1725 Thomas Ievers disposed of a further large area of these lands to Robert Harrison of Fort Fergus: See Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 30798, Vol 48, p100 (img 64), Ievers to Harrison, 9 Jan 1725.
32 Thomas Morony and Mary Meade were the ancestors of the Moronys of Miltown Malbay. An unconfirmed source lists their daughter Jane as having married Edmond Comyn of Milford (sic), possibly a relative of the poet, Micheál Coimín. Coimín later lived at Carrowkeel (also known as Milford), and had a son named Edmond/Edmund. See 'Notes on the Poets of Clare' by Thomas F O'Reilly, Clare Library Online Publications.
33 Edmond Merony Gent was a Claimant in 1700 (Chichester House) re the lands of Dunnaha East & Dunnaha West quoting a deed of Aug 1683 (Frost). The Moronys appear as witnesses in many deeds involving the McMahons during the first half of the 18th century.
40 Crosslé Genealogical Abstracts. Bryan McMahon of City of Limerick was a witness in several deeds involving the McMahons of Clonina and also the McMahons of Leadmore and may well have been related to both . He was probably the Bryan McMahon, Attorney, who died at Limerick in 1767 (Faulkner's Dublin Journal 13 Jan 1767). Bryan may have been a brother of Henry whose son Bryan was admitted as an Attorney Exchequer Feb 1774, from Kings Bench.
42 Betham Genealogical Abstracts. Richard Nagle was named as brother in law of Mathew McMahon of Toureen, Doctor in Physick, in the will of the latter dated 17 May 1742. Nagle must have been married to a sister of Matthew who must have been a close relative of Thomas, although the details of this relationship have not been established.
44 There is very little information available regarding the parents and siblings of Sir Michael. Brian ÓDálaigh, Op cit, quoting a pedigree compiled by Edmond, son of Michael Comyn, gives Elizabeth Creagh's father's name as Francis (Genealogical Office, GO Ms 162, ff. 34-5). Thus Francis Creagh and Sir Michael Creagh were brothers. A biography of Sir Michael by Éamonn ÓCiardha in the RIA Dictionary of Irish Biography (Cambridge University Press) gives Sir Michael's father's name as Christopher. Another online source names Sir Michael's father as Michael who was brother of Col John Creagh of Ballyvollane, Co Limerick, who was involved in the Confederate Wars of the 1640s.
47 See Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 92544, Vol , p106 (img 60), Fitzgerald to Morony 10 May 1745. Edmond Morony the lessee was 'of Miltoon' (sic). Edmond Comyn of Kilcorcoran but late of the City of Dublin and his brother James Comyn of Dublin Gents were witnesses to the deed. On 10th Aug 1745 the lease of Kilcorcoran and Cloghaunmore was transferred to James Comyn for his own life and the life of his father Michael and of Isabella Anderson who later married James, see Memorial No 85714, Vol 122, p225 (img134) Inchiquin & ors to Comyn.
48 Some authorities attribute this poem to Seán Chambers of Kilkee. For a commentary on this and a definitive overview on the life and poetry of Micheál Coinín, see Brian ÓDálaigh Op cit. Given the family ties between Micheál Coimín and Thomas McMahon it seems more likely that Coimín was the author.
50 The original poem contains 24 verses. Nine verses, edited by Seán Ó hÓgáin, were published in The Irish Book Lover, Feb 1951, pp101, 102. Ó hÓgáin quotes the source as RIA MS 24 M 11 but according to Brian ÓDálaigh the correct reference is more likely MS 24 K 11. Peter Beirne of Clare Co Library brought this poem to the attention of Martin Breen who passed it on to me and for this I am grateful to both .
52 James Frost, Op cit. The likelihood that the McMahons, MacGillereaghs and the Considines were related to each other is reinforced by the fact that Dermot Considine occupied Ballynogun jointly with Mortogh McMahon in 1659. We have seen above that Joanna Considine was wife of Rikard MacGillereagh, owner of Cloondrinagh and Cloonborna who died in 1634.
53 Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 303, Vol2, p98 (Img 450/451), 23 & 24 August 1708. Witnesses included Ignatius Casey of Ennis Merchant and Francis Casey of Knockanallaba Merchant. The Moronys regularly appear as witnesses in deeds involving the McMahons of Clonina in the first half of the 18th century.
56 Ibid, Memorial No 2551, Vol 8, p188 ((Img 111/112), Gough to Gillereagh 5 Nov 1711. There may possibly be an error in the name of the first mentioned townland. Breaffy North is in the Parish of Kilfarboy, Barony of Ibrickan and not the Barony of Islands. The correct townland may be Lavally (Leath Bhaile) North which, like Clondrinagh is in Clondagad parish. Perhaps Leath Bhaile had been abbreviated to Baile, anglicised Bally, which was then mistranscribed as Breffa. In 1641 Donogh Mac Gilla Riabadh held Lavally North and Mahone Mac Gilla Riabadh held Clondrinagh. Both townlands had been disposed of to Edward Gough.
61 Percival Hart's daughter Susanna married Brian, son of Terence McMahon of Clondanagh in 1748. Brian's younger brother Terence later occupied Dromore as a tenant of Mortogh, nephew of Thomas, Denis and Mortogh (the attorney) McMahon of Clonina.
65 The will of Morgan O'Meara of Nenagh, deceased, was registered in 1739. His son Morgan married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Richard Pennefather of Newpark in 1751. Eltonhead Meara Esq was of Greague, Queen's Co when he died in 1771 (Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland).
77 It seems certain that Jane continued to live at Dromore until her death. This was the same house which was later occupied by Terence McMahon who held it as a tenant of Mortogh McMahon from at least 1780, but most likely from around 1766. Mortogh and Terence may have been distantly related. Following the purchase of Dromore from Lord Milton by Thomas Crowe in 1791 Terence continued to live at Dromore until his death in late 1796.
79 Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 159965 Vol 243 p345 McDonnell to McMahon 1765. A Memorial of Indented Deed of Lease and Release bearing date respectively the first & second day of November 1765. The Memorial was registered on 30th April 1766.
81 John Damer of Shronehill (Shronell) inherited the assets of his uncle Joseph Damer in 1720. Joseph was a moneylender, a land agent and a dealer in mortgages. Joseph (Damer), Lord Milton, was Joseph Damer's grandnephew.
84 Ibid, Memorial No 226148, Vol
337, P229 (Img 81), Duke of Leinster & others to Mahon (sic)
dated 18 & 19 Dec 1780.
86 The gravestone erected by his son Capt Mort gives his date of death as 16 November 1796. However the date of his will as reported in the 1856 court case is 29 November. His death was reported 'this morning after a few days illness' in the Ennis Chronicle of 1 December 1796.
88 Daniel O'Callaghan of Mountallon, son of Donough decd, lodged an Exchequer Bill on 11 July 1724 seeking to recover the lands of Oughterrush West alias Cloncoole from Cusack's heirs. The defendants named were John Cole, George Purdon, Terence McMahon, Peter Cusack, Arthur Gore, Mabel his wife, Thos Studdert & Eliza his wife. In the Bill, O'Callaghan said that 'John Cusack was then a man of great authority and much feared in that county'. (Thrift Genealogical Abstracts).
97 There was a court case heard in Ennis in 1856 in which Richard McMahon Roberts, grandson of Teigue/Timothy McMahon sought possession of the lands which Terence McMahon Snr had acquired in 1780 and which Anne, widow of Terence McMahon Jnr, had purported to dispose of in her will. The case was reported in the Clare Freeman of 1st March 1856 and the Clare Journal of 3 March 1856 and the reports contain much information on the family.
99 There is a copy of O'Looney's book in the Local Studies Centre in Ennis and I am grateful to Peter Beirne for providing me with scans of the poems relating to 'Fair Mary' McDonnell and Mortogh McMahon.
106 Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 310351 Vol 478, p273 (Img 150) One of the witnesses to the deed was Michael Gillereagh of Clonina. The usual written version of the name Gillereagh had become Gallery long before this.
112 Registry of Deeds, Memorial No 120626, Vol 182, p229, 19 Nov 1755, McMahon to McMahon. It is almost certain that Andrew must have converted to Protestantism prior to this in order to qualify to hold a lease for longer than 31 years.
116 There were two houses named Moatfield in Co Kildare, one near Athy and the other near Clane. The former seems to have been continually by the Greene family at this time. It seems more likely that the house occupied by Thomas was the one near Clane.
122 Ibid Memorial No 510367 Vol 750, p430 (Img 521/522) McDonnell & ors to O'Brien. This memorial contains all the details of the mortgage of the lands by Murtagh McMahon and the subsequent assignment of the mortgage.
129 Thomas Gibson was descended from a Protestant Williamite officer, Captain Thomas Gibson, who fought at the Battle of the Boyne. In the early 18th c the family settled at Lisborneen in Kilmaley parish. They later moved to the Loop Head area where they held the townlands of Moneen, Fodera and half of Ross from the Westbys to whom they were related by marriage. The family had converted to Catholicism by around the time of Thomas Gibson's birth in the 1770s. Thomas married Fr Patrick O'Kelly's sister Bridget and moved to Ballyvoe in Kilmaley in 1818 where he held 365 acres. Thomas Gibson was later a longtime and active member of the Board of Guardians of the Ennis Poor Law Union. He died in 1863.
138 Letters of Administration of the Estate of Rev Patrick O'Kelly who died on 31st Jan 1830 (left unadministered by the Executors John Kelly & Thomas Gibson) were granted on 7th Feb 1865 to Matthew Kelly, Woollen Draper, Kilrush, one of the Residuary Legatees.
140 Anne Cullinan was the second wife of John O'Kelly. Clare Journal Thursday 9 Oct 1834: "Married this morning, by the Rev Daniel Lynch P.P. at Kilnacally John O'Kelly, Esq of Clonina to Anne, youngest daughter of the late Denis Cullinan Esq.". John's first wife was Grace O'Brien: Clare Journal Thursday 7 Jun 1832: "Married, yesterday morning, at Dromelihy, by the Rev. Mr. O'Kelly, P.P, John O'Kelly of Clonina Esq. to Grace, daughter and only child of James O'Brien Esq and niece of the late Chevalier O'Gorman". James O'Brien was Fr Lynch's landlord at Fairy Hill, Kilmaley. The Lynchs, Gibsons and Cullinans were related by marriage to each other.