|Clare County Library||
|Donated Material: Graveyard Inscriptions|
|Killea Graveyard, Clondagad|
Killea, which is situated off the road between the Factory Cross and Ballyea Church is mentioned in ‘Antiquities of County Clare’ by O’Donovan in 1839 - “There is a small burial ground in the townland of Lisheen called Cille - Aodha or the Church of Hugh”.
According to tradition Killea was originally a children’s burial ground. These burial grounds were known as Cillíns and were usually located in remote areas on level ground surrounded by rougher terrain.
Over time adults were buried at Killea. The cemetery
was extended and was fenced in with a paling. During Canon O’Reilly’s
time as P.P. a clean-up of the cemetery was undertaken. More recently
a road leading to the cemetery and a car park have been completed by voluntary
labour. For the first time in living memory Mass was celebrated in Killea
in July 2008.
Killea Graveyard, Clondagad