Tulla Girls Roll Books
Transcribed by Jane Halloran Ryan of the Tulla Reaching Out Heritage Group.
|TULLA GIRLS SCHOOL HISTORY
Tulla Girls School also known as the Convent School was opened by
the Sisters of Mercy in 1883. The Sisters were asked to come to Tulla
by Rev. James Bowles, the parish priest of Tulla from 1856 until his
death in 1880. It was Fr Bowles wish that the Sisters would come to
Tulla to establish a community and school there. The Sisters arrived
to Tulla with much fanfare in June 1883 and they quickly established
a fee-paying school with the intention of becoming established as a
National school once a new building was constructed. The numbers were
initially small with classes in needlework, painting and music being
taught by the nuns.
For further information about the school, please see the following