The Ennis Turkish baths opened to the public in mid September 1870 at
Millview on the present Mill Road. The baths remained as a going concern
until February 1878. In that month the shareholders, on the recommendation
of the company directors, voted to wind up the company, the Ennis Baths
Company (Limited), which had lost money in every trading year except its
first. Its closing marked the end of a typically Victorian experiment
in mixing commerce and municipal public improvement, and was a costly
failure for the company shareholders. In terms of the development of Ennis
as a town, the construction and opening of the baths was contemporaneous
with the building of St Columba’s Church on Bindon Street.
This article originally appeared in The
Other Clare vol. 32 (2008) pp 12-17. Clare County Library is grateful
to Peter Beirne for donating this article.