|Clare County Library
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost
Kilmoon Parish; Castle of Fineen Fitzpatrick, and house of O’Davoren at Lisdoonvarna
Of St Muadanus, the patron of this parish, very little is known. His name is not found in the Acta Sanctorum of Colgan nor in the Martyrology of Donegal; but Father O’Hanlon in his great work, The Lives of the Irish Saints, has collected under the date of the 6th of March all that can be discovered of the acts of the various saints of that name. His old church is nearly level with the ground, the north wall only remaining. A short distance at the west is a holy well dedicated to him, and in the townland of Lisdoonvarna another holy well, named after St. Brendan, the great navigator, while in the townland of Derrynavaghagh is a third, dedicated to Bishop Flannan. In the townland of Lisdoonvarna existed a castle now utterly ruined, which, according to an inscription on a stone built into the corner of a farmhouse in the vicinity was built by Denis Cloghessy in 1619 for Finin FitzPatrick. In the Book of Distributions and Forfeitures this Fineen or Florence FitzPatrick is set down as the owner of Lisdoonvarna and Ballyteige in 1641. The townland of Lisdoonvarna also contains the ruins of an extensive building called the house of O’Davoren, in which the last of the family died about the year 1750. His estates passed to his daughter, and through her to her descendants, Mr. William Stacpoole, late M.P. of Ballyallia, and Mr. Richard Stacpoole, late of Edenvale. In the townland of Cahercloggaun stood the castle of the same name, belonging in 1580 to one of the O’Loghlens, but no vestige of it now exists, although there are considerable remains of the more ancient fort or caher. The parish of Kilmoon contains no less than eight cahers, viz., the one just mentioned, Caher Bullog, Knockaskeheen, Caher Barnagh, Derrynavahagh, Cahermeal, Lismoraghaun, and Lisdoonvarna. The original name of this last was Dun-a-bhearna, the fort at the gap. Lisdoonvarna contains a remarkable round hill called Liss-a-tee-aun, that is, the fort of the Sheeaun or fairy hill.