Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Inchicronan

  1. Situation and Name; Ancient Church of St. Cronan destroyed to build a large Monastery in latter end of 12th century; Archdall’s account of the Monastery; Was founded in 1190 by Donald O’Brien, King of Limerick; Granted in 1620, together with a moiety of the tithes of the Ph. to Donagh Earl of Thomond and again in 1661 in fee to Henry, Earl of Thomond; Kiltoolagh (Tomhlach) old Church in Carrowmore; O’Brien’s Castle – old castle from which the Townland is named, anciently called Beal na Finbhearnan (Ballaghnafeervarnan) which name is still remembered; Caislean an Oilean old Castle (remains of).


Chapter 45


Chapter 47