|Clare County Library
|Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839
Parish of Kilkeedy (d)
In this Parish is situated the old Church of Kill-Taice, which appears to be of the primitive ages, but all its features are destroyed so that nothing remains to the antiquarian to determine its age but the character of the masonry, which certainly looks very old. It would appear from a holy well near this Church that it was built by or dedicated to St. Inneeboy, a celebrated Dalcassian Virgin, the Patron of Killineeboy, whose memory was celebrated there on the 29th December and to whom many wells throughout this County are sacred. Does her name occur in the Calendar of the O’Clery’s?
In the Townland of Moanreagh in this Parish is situated the Bridge of Lochaid, which is mentioned by Keating as on the boundary of the Province of Connaught and the Territory of the Dalcassians, and by the Four Masters at the year 1564: “The inhabitants of the Country from Sliabh-Oidheadha-an-Righ to Luchat and from Rinn Eanaigh to Seairbh, rose up to oppose the Earl of Thomond, etc.”
The Sliabh Oidheadha an Righ here mentioned is the Cratloe Mountain;
Luchat is Lochaid in the Parish of Kilkeedy; Rinn Eanaigh is in the
Shannon near Bunratty;
and Seairbh is the Village of Scarriff in the Barony of Tullagh near the boundary
of the Co. of Galway.