|Clare County Library
Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839
Parish of Troogh [O’Briensbridge] (a)
The Parish of Troogh, in the southeast corner of the Co. of Clare and in the Barony of Tulla Lower, is bounded on the east by the Parish of Kilokennedy; on the north by Killseely, on the west by Clonlea and Kilfeenaghta and on the south by St. Munchin and St. Patrick’s Parishes.
The proper Irish of the present name of this Parish is Truich, which means nothing more than Cantred and may be well supposed that this was not the ancient ecclesiastical name of the place. This supposition will derive considerable strength from the fact that the place occupied by the Parish of Troogh on the engraved Map of the Down Survey, is marked by the Parish name of Killalow and the place occupied by the Church is called (marked) Castle Quarter, by which name it continues still to be known.
From this it would appear that the place was anciently dedicated to St. Molua of Killaloe, tho’ there is not any recollection of him in the Parish.
Of the old Church of Troogh nothing now remains but about ten feet of the west gable to the height of about twelve feet, built of small brownish mountain stones, the masonry of a modern character.
The Castle of Troogh, which according to the College List belonged to Edmund O’Grady, is now level with the ground.