|Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis
A parish, in the barony of Burren, county of Clare, and province of Munster, eight miles (N. N. E.) from Curofin, near the road from Kilfenora to Ballyvaughan ; containing 335 inhabitants. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, united from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Kilheny and Oughtmanna, which together constitute the union of Kilcorney and corps of the chancellorship of Kilfenora, in the gift of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £20, and those of the union to £165. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of 181/2 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Carrune. About 65 children are educated in a school superintended by the R. C. clergyman. The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground. Near the village is a remarkable cave, the mouth of which is level with the ground : from the interior of this cave, which is of considerable extent, water is occasionally spouted into the air to a great height, and inundates the plain, although it is at some distance from any river or lake, and nearly 6 miles from the sea.
County Clare A History and Topography
by Samuel Lewis