|Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis
A parish, in the barony of Corcomroe, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 3 and a half miles (W.) from Curofin, on the road from Kilfenora to Ennis; containing 1145 inhabitants. In the civil divisions it is not known as a parish, having merged into that of Kilfenora: it comprises about 3080 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of mountain pasture and bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora ; the rectory forms part of the union and corps of the deanery ; the vicarage was episcopally united, in 1795, to that of Clouney, together constituting the union of Kiltoraght in the gift of the Bishop. Of the tithes, amounting to £90, two-thirds are payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. The church, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £800, in 1813, having been injured during the late disturbances, is now in a dilapidated state; divine service is performed at the glebe-house, for the erection of which the same Board gave £450, and lent £62, in 1814. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilfenora: a chapel is now being erected at Inchioveagh, on the new line of road to Ennistymon. About 110 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of a castle at Inchioveagh.
County Clare A History and Topography
by Samuel Lewis