|Clare County Library||
Clare Places: Towns & Villages
Home | Library Catalogue | Forums | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New
Gazeteer of Ireland 1845
Seafield, according to the historian Frost, should be called "Barr na gCros", the headland of the crosses. The name was derived from the practice of temporarily burying the remains of the dead there in stormy weather when they could not be carried to the cemetery in Mutton Island. In the meantime, crosses were placed over the coffins.
Seafield is a short, sandy peninsula jutting into the sea. The safer bathing area is situated on the same side as the harbour but people seem to prefer bathing on the more hazardous side. Lewis writing in 1837 gives an account of the parish of Kilmurry Ibrickane and mentions that "It forms part of the dangerous western coast called The Malbay, where, if a vessel be embayed, its only chances of being saved are on the northern side of Liscannor Bay, on the north-eastern side of Dunmore Bay, or within the ledge of rocks opposite to Enniskerry, extending eastward from Seafield Point, in this parish. At each of these places a pier has been erected by the late Fishery Board; that at Seafield can only be approached at Spring tides by vessels of 12 tons but it is considered capable of being much improved, and would then be of great service."
There was also a Coastguard Station here, manned by eight Coastguards and their families. During the 1920's it was used by the military and about forty soldiers occupied the station.