Places of Interest
SMITHSTOWN TOWER HOUSE was built by one of the
MacNamara family, probably in the late sixteenth century. During
the siege of Bunratty in 1646, the tower house was used as a munitions
and supplies depot by the Confederate Army and it is recorded that
the English who were holding Bunratty successfully raided Smithstown
in early April of that year.
TULLYVARRAGA is probably derived from TULACH NA
FARRAIGE, the hill of the sea. The hill according to tradition was
an ancient school site. No physical remains are known to exist;
the school may have been an eighteenth - century hedge school in
contravention of the Penal Laws.
TULLYVARRAGA and the War of Independence. The house
of John Hastings in Tullyvarraga survived until recent years when
it was burnt to the ground. During the War of Independence, it was
a "safe house" for the East Clare Brigade. It was here
that the British Brigadier - General Lucas was held for some time
following his capture.