Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Killadysert

  1. Situation and Name; Old Church; Square tower attached to west end.

  2. Holy wells in the Parish; Oilean (Inis) na gCananach or Canon Island, on which is an Abbey founded by Donnell O’Brien, King of Limerick, in 12th century; Inscription in Gothic letters at do.; Inisluaidhe (Inishloe) east of Canon Island, mentioned in St. Senan’s Life as containing a Church but at present having nothing remaining on it but an old tree believed to have been blessed by St. Senan; Inistubrid mentioned in same Life; Inis da Drom (the Island of the Two Backs) now often called Coney Island – set down in list of castles of Thomond in MS. Trin. Col. Dub. as belonging to Tege Mac Conor O’Brien; Old Churches on Do., one on the east side and another on the south; Crovraghan, mentioned in College list of castles as “Croberighane” a castle belonging to Tege Mac Conor O’Brien; The castle now levelled to the foundations; Townlands in this and the adjoining Parishes mentioned in O’Brien’s Rental published by Mr. Hardiman.


Chapter 33


Chapter 35